Don’t Be a Turkey when Using a Deep Fryer

November 23, 2007

BSO Fire Rescue turkey fryer demo

Firefighter/Paramedic Al Mecias lowers a frozen turkey into an overheated pot of oil in a turkey fryer at the Broward Fire Academy on Monday. The safety demonstration showed the potential dangers of using turkey fryers incorrectly. Broward Sheriff’s Office Fire Marshal Charles Raiken said , “We urge those people who enjoy deep fried turkey to purchase one prepared by a professional, like a grocery store or restaurant. The risks of consumer grade turkey fryers are evident and can cause serious burn injuries or fires.” “What you have is a large quantity of hot oil in a pot that can splash, tip or get knocked over,” added Chief Raiken.

On Sunday, Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to a turkey fryer that caught fire in Cooper City. According to Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Spokesman Mike Jachles, an unattended turkey fryer outside the home caught fire after it was left on to preheat and the resident went back into the house. When he returned later, he discovered the fire and called 9-1-1. Firefighters put the fire out with a dry chemical extinguisher. “An unattended cooking device, too close to the house could have caused much more damage. The oil was so hot that the fire re-ignited even after it was extinguished. Fortunately, our firefighters responded quickly and mitigated the situation,” said Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles. “This is a classic example of the potential danger of these fryers.” According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking fires are more likely to occur on Thanksgiving Day than any other time of the year.

Some safety tips for those who insist on using the fryers are: Use them outdoors, on a flat surface a safe distance from buildings. Never use in, on or under a garage, breezeway porch or wooden deck. Do not leave the fryer unattended while in use. Keep children and pets away from the fryer. Wear long-sleeved clothing, eye protection and oven mitts. Lower (and raise) the turkey slowly into the oil. Use a thermometer and monitor it. Make sure the turkey is fresh or fully-thawed and dry. The water from a frozen or wet bird can cause a fire or splash-over of the oil. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and do not overfill with oil. Even after it’s off, oil can remain dangerously hot. Have an approved type fire extinguisher nearby. Never put water on a grease fire. For more safety tips, visit the BSO website at: www.sheriff.org

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: