FIREFIGHTERS ROUSE DEEP SLEEPER FROM SMOKE-FILLED APARTMENT

February 15, 2008

FIREFIGHTERS ROUSE DEEP SLEEPER FROM SMOKE-FILLED APARTMENT

Angel Lebron (center), 56, gives information to BSO deputy John Gronna and firefighters Thursday afternoon after neighbors banged on his door to try to get him out. Just after 2:00 p.m. a neighbor saw smoke and heard a smoke alarm sounding inside unit #206 of the Sun Drift Apartments at 3181 W. Hallandale Beach Blvd. Lebron was sleeping in the bedroom of the second floor apartment as it filled with smoke. As Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Capt. Rod Watkins searched the apartment, he found Lebron, sound asleep, roused him and assisted him to safety. Firefighters found a pot burning on the stove. Watkins said “Another 15 minutes and this man could have died from the smoke.” There was a smoke alarm sounding in the living room, but it didn’t awaken Lebron. Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue paramedics checked out Lebron on the scene but he refused transport. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking fires are the number one cause of residential fires.

Photo by Mike Jachles/Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: