August 25, 2008


Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue Capt. Lawrence Ehrke and Lt. Cindie Schooner-Ball use a thermal imaging camera to check the temperature of an air vent in the second floor bathroom of a home in Southwest Ranches  that was struck by lightning Saturday afternoon. Just after 2:00 p.m., Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and Southwest Ranches Vol. Fire Dept. firefighters were called to 5750 SW 192 Ter. after the homeowner noticed flames and smoke coming out of the bathroom air vent after the bolt of lightning hit the roof. When firefighters arrived, there was moderate smoke throughout the second floor of the house. They ventilated the smoke and checked for additional damage. In the attic, one of the truss beams was split in half, most likely due to the lightning strike. The charge apparently traveled from the beam to the metallic duct, sending the flames and smoke shooting out. Fortunately, there was no other damage to the house, and no injuries reported. The homeowner and his son were the only ones home at the time.

Photo by Mike Jachles/Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue

%d bloggers like this: